My exhale:

Review of Netflix documentary, “Rainforests.”

For my exhale, I watched a Netflix documentary about rainforests, and their ecosystems. My goal was to learn how documentarians could create meaning in their documentaries using structure, theme, and mood. I think that this documentary was very good, and created lots of meaning and here’s why.

The documentary used a structure that I like to think of as the hourglass structure because it started out very broad, and just gave us cool facts about rainforests, and humanity in general. Then, it started to narrow in, and focus on a specific forest, then a specific animal, then another animal, then another forest. It kept going until the end, when it then talked about how we are destroying the rainforests. It showed us all of these adorable, cute animals and then told us that tons of them are dying every day because of us. This is a classic example of juxtaposition, which is when one connects two seemingly different topics to create meaning. I think that this documentary did an excellent job at creating meaning. I personally found the ‘hourglass format’ to be very helpful because by starting broad, it gave us some strong information on rainforests, which worked as a good introduction.  The transitions in this documentary from animal to animal to place were very clean. This made it a lot easier for me to follow along. 

To summarize, I think this documentary was very good at creating meaning and the transitions between animals and places were very smooth. I would definitely recommend this documentary

———————————————————————————————————————————————————

My inhale:

For my inhale, I watched the Netflix documentary on rainforests. I then analyzed it, and looked for ways the director created meaning in the documentary. I then identified structures the director had used in the documentaries. For my exhale, I wrote a review with all the information I had collected.

Review on Rainforest Documentary
Tagged on: