Flight Girls- Book Review

The Flight Girls

by: Noelle Salazar

Reviewed by: Adelyn H.

“Listening to the quiet sniffling, the hard wooden pews creaking under the weight of their grief, and staring at a framed photo of one more friend lost to the war.”

Flight Girls is an inspiring story about women pilots in World War II. It tells the story of a young pilot named Audrey who dreams of owning an airfield. She defies the gender stereotypes and begins as a W.A.S.P.  She meets friends and loses others to the war. The author portrays Audrey as a stubborn, smart, hard working woman who has an extremely dangerous job. The planes firing at each other like the soldiers in the trenches below. The Flight Girls is a very fascinating and intriguing book that  highlights the work environment dangerous enough to kill billions that pilots in the war had to live and work in.

Since she was a little girl, Audrey Coltrane has wanted to fly planes. She starts teaching military pilots in Hawaii. December 7, 1941, Pearl Harbour is bombed. She is stuck in the air, flying above the disaster. “Imagine the most beautiful place you’ve ever seen. And then imagine it obscured in the blackest smoke, reeking of  the worst smells. Instead of hearing the waves lapping at the shore, happy music on every street, screams and sirens and the wailing of those hurt and dying. And all the while, planes are strafing everything in sight and battleships and buildings are exploding from bombs. It’s the worst thing I’ve ever seen.”  Her world comes crashing down. To try to escape the pain, she begins working for the Women’s Airforce Service Pilots Program.  

For my inhale, I read the flight girls and took quotes that I felt were significant. I recorded the quotes. I also wrote why the quotes are important and are important to World War II. My notes helped me form the outline of the review. I added some figurative language adn literary devices to my writing to make it more interesting.

The Flight Girls – Book Review
Tagged on: